Re: [TCML] Trouble with eBay wire

I had the same thing happen to me. I wanted to wind a 4.25" diameter by 25.25" coil with 24 gauge. I found a seller advertising 1500'  spools. It came up way short (19.25") Turned out the wire length was actually estimated by weight. I eventually wound the 25.25" coil and I found that the shorter coil actually out performed the longer one slightly in the same set up, but they where roughly the same. I don't think you will have any trouble with your shorter than expected secondary. Just give yourself a larger margin of error when ordering wire next time.

--- On Mon, 6/30/08, Nicholas J. Goble <ngoble@xxxxxxx> wrote:
From: Nicholas J. Goble <ngoble@xxxxxxx>
Subject: [TCML] Trouble with eBay wire
To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
Date: Monday, June 30, 2008, 4:22 PM

I bought 24 AWG wire from an eBay dealer named Jim Whyte.  He has
thousands of sales already so I figure that he's legit.  My purchase
was supposed to be 1000' of 24 AWG copper magnet wire.  I got my
shipment within the allotted time.  I began to wrap my secondary coil.
I was going for 20" tall, 4" diameter.  After hand winding all the
wire, I measure the wind and find it to be only 17.5" long.  After some
crude calculations, I found the total length of the wire to be about
910'.

I emailed the seller to get a new coil of magnet wire, and he assures
me  that he sent me exactly 1000' and won't be sending me another coil.

 What should I do about this?  Should I contact PayPal and dispute the
order?