Re: [TCML] Line Filter Rating

Hey John...

Since you are imploying a 9/30 NST as the power supply, you have a few options as far as grounding. In preferential order here they are

1. ( expensive) pound about 10 8' copper rods into your lawn and connect all of them together with 1/2" thick solid core copper wire :)~ 2. ( affordable) drive 1 8' copper clad steel rod into the ground and connect with 12 ga. wire
3. ( cheaper)  drive 2' of steel pipe with 12 ga. wire attached
4. (really cheap) use a counterpoise made of chicken wire approximately 3X3 feet attached to the base of the secondary with 10 ga. wire 5. ( really cheap now) spread alot of salt on the living room carpet and soak well with water, attach wire to plumbing or gas pipe and lay wire on carpet or better yet in soaking wet carpet pad... not the best idea but possible with potential dangers involved ( do not touch toroid while barefoot on the wet carpet if using this method)...... 6. dont ground at all but be prepared for transformer/cap failure or racing arcs on the secondary...

as far as line filters, they are just another method to REDUCE the effects of transient surges in house wiring... they dont stop or negate transient surges completely. When you start getting into using 60+ X ( 18.2 KW) the power your NST is using, then there really is not much to stop RF from doing some type of inductive interaction on the house wiring... I like to unplug the TV and associated electronics ( PS3 sound system) and the computer only because of the expense in possibly having to replace them...

but to be honest, option #2,3, and 4 are effective methods to solve your issues.

Comcor offers a few deicent filters, look for one rated for 10-20 Amps capacity at 120- 135 line voltage... I have mine connected to the RF ground.. may not be correct but it works...

Scot D

John Matok wrote:

I think I want to put a line filter on my coil, so I won't have to unplug
everything in my house before I turn it on.  I have no clue what filter to
buy.  I'm using a 9/30 NST.  What specifications should my line filter have
to protect my house?  Also, do I ground it to the house or the RF ground.

One more question.  What's the cheapest way to ground my coil, but with
safety in mind?  I don't want to pound 10 8' copper pipes in my lawn.  I
have some spare HV wire lying around (about 1/2" thick) could I strip about
5' of it and shove it in the ground?  What our my options for grounding?

John Matok