From: tesla-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:tesla-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf
Of dr.hankenstein@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Saturday, July 12, 2008 6:14 PM
To: Tesla Coil Mailing List
Subject: [TCML] Poly thickness (does matter!)

Gary,

I beg to differ with you on this point. I used to think the same thing until
we did a recent experiment: I refinished an old secondary, one I had been
using for 14 years and was astonished what 20+ coats of fresh polyurethane
did for the coils performance. Noted was the elimination of a "corona skirt"
under the gradient ring (top load). The occasional racing sparks have been
eliminated not to mention I now have the closest coulpling possible with
this coil. I used to use a 1" spacer under the secondary to decouple the
coil. Spark length has increased 4 to 6" as well. For more details, please
check out the article I wrote on this experiment at:
http://www.audiotesla.org/corona%20experiment.htm

Regards,

Woo