Re: [TCML] Spark dynamics on Jacobs Ladder

Hi:

Without calculations, I imagine that the force is mainly electrostatic. Magnetic forces at mA current levels seem too small. Another source for a repulsive force may be the heating of the air. Once I made a curious experiment hanging two light aluminum balls on wires and connecting the wires to the terminals of a NST. The balls are first attracted, but when a spark forms they are clearly pushed apart. They soon start to oscillate at the natural frequency of the system.

Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz