RE: [TCML] Pig upgrade

I have pole xmfrs that can be pulled out of their original tank.  I recase
them in a steel case 18 x 18 x 19 inches high.  I use a phenolic top for
input output.  Weight is reduced from 300 lbs to 110 lbs and you can run
any range from 3 kVA up to 20 kVA with these bullet proof beasts.
Contact me off list if interested.

Dr. Resonance

> I have the space and am ready to build a new coil that uses over
> 1 kva. but am not sure where to get a step up transformer that
> is of good condition and a relativley cheap price.  in a 3kva - 5 kva.
> range.
> If any one knows of any place or as any transformer for sale please
> contact me off list.
>
> Rich W> Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2008 21:33:41 -0800> From:
> jaholmes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> Subject: Re: [TCML] Pig upgrade> To:
> tesla@xxxxxxxxxx> CC: > > Yep, I'll stick by the ~800lbs figure. Maybe
> closer> to 700lbs, but I'll be really surprised if it's any> less than
> that! 200-300lbs is for 10-15kVA units. > 25kVA units weigh 450-500lbs.
> Yes! These things are> extremely heavy!! One of my first observations
> about> getting pole pigs was that the "final stretch"> (actually
> physically getting them from source to> house) was often the worst part.
> The weight is one> thing, but in such a [relatively] small package, they>
> may as well be solid lead! I have a couple of ancient> potential
> transformers too that weight 450lbs each,> and they're only 3kVA! (pretty
> much the worst> weight/power ratio I've come across yet, but then PT's>
> are generally heavier ;-)) I've spent literally hours> figuring out how to
> lift pole pigs off of pickup> trucks in my garage using odd assemblies of
> ratcheted> load binders and hoists strung across the rafters. > Have fun,
> but BE SAFE!! There is more danger to pig> ownership than the electrical
> aspects ;-)> > 240V @ 30A is good for some fun. It doesn't come> anywhere
> near to taking advantage of such a huge> transformer (think hundreds of
> amps!), but to> reiterate (again), if you've got the room and> anticipate
> the need, get it. If you can, that is!!> > Cheers,> Aaron, N7OE> > ---
> Clive Hansen <mrclivehansen@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:> > > I may be able to secure
> a source of 240v at 30a.> > This would give me full > > 14kv at 0.5a so
> then it would be worth it, right?> > Also, 800lbs? Do these > > pigs
> really weigh that much? I was thinking more> > around 200-300lbs. 800 > >
> might be difficult to move.> > > > -Clive> >

Dr. Resonance