RE: [TCML] Sphere Topload Coil, RQ single blown gap

Hello All,

Richard Quick suggested a dual 1" brass dowel gap blown by a compressor
(dowel ends are the gap). He is correct in saying it howls like a chainsaw
with no muffler. The dowels are threaded for removal (the faces need 400
grit from time to time to clean off any oxides) and for easy gap width
adjustment.

As you ramp up the voltage to the gap, you can hear the point where it
really gets with it like a very loud 120 HZ square wave and the toroid comes
alive.

The gap works great up to 2KW. I was using a large leaf blower with a
conical 12" polystyrene long nozzle that started at 3" and ended in the gap
width diameter ~ .5" for 15KV and right next to the gap - high velocity,
high pressure.

Richard, if you are lurking out there again, thanks for the great gap!

Jim Mora

The design may still be in the archives. Easy to make, really works great!