RE: [TCML] RE: musing on lists ( Wireless Transmission Theory)

On Sun, 10 Feb 2008, Jeff Behary wrote:

> How many people have read through Tesla's lectures, and wondered "What's
> the point?".  He described so many variations of coils and circuits and
> electrical discharge effects which are for most people completely
> meaningless and trivial.

As I learn more and more about Tesla's obscure history, and then later
return to his writings, I occasionally see astounding things which earlier
escaped my notice.

If I'd been looking right at a Tesla coil variation which later turned out
to be important, but I'd missed the interesting part because I didn't know
what it was...  it leads me to wonder how much of Tesla's other work still
seems trivial to me because I cannot yet understand the interesting parts.

I wouldn't be very shocked to learn that each of those apparently trivial
variations was actually hiding something amazing.

Here's a test.  Go look at the diagrams alone for Tesla's 1892 lectures.
Many seem like like obscure and useless variation.  Then read the
lectures to discover that each diagram was illustrating a particular
point.   With the descriptive text available, the diagrams look very
different.  The "informed eye" sees a different world.

William J. Beaty                            SCIENCE HOBBYIST website
billb at amasci com                         http://amasci.com
EE/programmer/sci-exhibits   amateur science, hobby projects, sci fair
Seattle, WA  206-762-3138    unusual phenomena, tesla coils, weird sci