Re: [TCML] Inside-Out Tesla Coil...

On Sun, 10 Feb 2008, Jeff Behary wrote:

> ...or Unipolar High Frequency Induction Coil.  (Experimental coil) Many
> early texts describe Tesla Coils having the primaries wound on the
> inside of the secondary.  Most of these were oil-filled to avoid
> spark-overs.  I used paraffin wax for insulation:
> http://www.electrotherapymuseum.com/2008/InsideOutPancake/index.htm

VERY cool.  Complete the insideoutness by adding a toroid all around the
edge?  (A shorted turn, though.)

Hey, have you or others built any BACKWARDS coils?  Where a high frequency
power supply is turned into huge low frequency DC pulse output?  I thought
of a way to do this, then remembered that just such things are in
schematics in Tesla articles.  But I haven't encountered any detailed
description in his writings.  Wardenclyffe presumably used some similar
technique, since it would be putting out pulses well below 10KHz.  Also,
this may have been the source of those "painless surface flames"
discharges described in various articles.   Modern plasma generators do
the same, I think: huge spikes at low PWM which prevents streamer growth.

William J. Beaty                http://staff.washington.edu/wbeaty/
beaty chem washington edu       Research Engineer
billbamascicom                  UW Chem Dept,  Bagley Hall RM74
206-543-6195                    Box 351700, Seattle, WA 98195-1700