Re: [TCML] RE: musing on lists ( Wireless Transmission Theory)

On Wed, 13 Feb 2008, Daniel Kline wrote:

> William Beaty wrote:
> > Getting inside Tesla's head and seeing things through his eyes has given
> > me some big "aha" experiences.  For example, in these two diagrams, did
> > Tesla describe the effect produced by the extra spark gap?  Or the spiral
> > supports?
> >
> >    http://www.tesla-coil.com/images/Magnifier%202.jpg
> >    http://www.tesla-coil.com/images/Magnifier%201.jpg
>
> Ummm...From which Tesla-patents were those exact drawings taken?

>From one of the various books, but if my understanding is correct, the
labels were added by some author, and aren't very accurate.  I've never
seen any Tesla-written text to describe these diagrams, and wanted to see
if my spontaneous mental impressions are correct.  If my intuition is
right, then the legs are *not* insulators, but are supposed to be
conductors (inductors) meant to translate the high-freq output of the
extra coil into immense DC pulses of either polarity and at low frequency.
In addition, Earth-resonance travelling waves would greatly influence the
voltage on the main dome, causing the next spark to jump the gap, thus
locking the transmitter output to the Earth-resonance frequency.  The
Earth itself then is the main tank circuit, while the pictured device is
more like a huge "transistor" of a Hartly oscillator. Since Shumann
resonance lines are known to move around over a scale of minutes, any
transmitter *must* somehow lock itself to the narrow resonance lines.
Otherwise the system would immediately drift off frequency.  Using Earth
as the oscillator's LC tank makes the problem go away.

I get the impression that the differently-spiralled legs were intended to
create a
coupled-oscillator line-splitting output which drives multiple Shumann
resonance lines at the same time.  Tesla mentioned "wave complex" many
times but never gave a detailed explanation as far as I know.  If I'm
right, then we're all looking right at the "wave-complex generator"
without knowing what it is (and while assuming that the conductive spirals
are just insulator supports.)

If Earth is the tank circuit, and this device is a sort of "Victorian
Phase Lock Loop," then by adjusting the gap length, any desired Shumann
frequency could be selected.  If it was ever operated, many arguments
about Worldwide Power and Shumann Q-factors could be settled, since if the
system genuinely worked, then the sound of the arc would be at a Schumann
frequency, and as the gap width was varied slowly, the audible arc noise
would leap discontinuously from resonance to resonance rather than varying
smoothly.

William J. Beaty                            SCIENCE HOBBYIST website
billb at amasci com                         http://amasci.com
EE/programmer/sci-exhibits   amateur science, hobby projects, sci fair
Seattle, WA  206-762-3138    unusual phenomena, tesla coils, weird sci