RE: [TCML] TC Newbie

Bart, I Also meant to clarify that the voltage breakdown in the gap,if it takes slightly longer,Then doesnt it load the current for slightly longer?(If the gap is hot, will it ironise longer?)or just empty every last ounce of voltage out the tank caps even if the voltage is lower than breakout due to the already ironised hot path?                                    Heat is definately playing a role in my gap.It likes the gap to warm up to a very high temp but not too high(50-60'C).That U piece of solid steel in the middle of my gap is actually a Multi-Lock,gear lock,and I have another 2 of them in case its too hot(So you cant touch it)I just change them around once every 15min or so.One last go for me Bart.Gareth

-----Original Message-----
From: "bartb" <bartb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: kingsandangels@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: 2008/12/12 05:37
Subject: Re: [TCML] TC Newbie

Hi Gareth,

Yes, electrons move fast. Speed of light unless they are inside a
medium. Even light only travels "at the speed of light" when it's not
passing through a medium. But, as light travels through water, it slows
down. There is a physicist that is studying this aspect right now.
Slowing light down "incredibly" (and it is still light, photons
illuminating!).

You are correct. Nothing is at two places at the same time (in the same
dimension). But the fact of using two gaps versus one does not explain
the issue with firing. How fast a gap fires is based on the gap only the
gap width, and it won't matter how many electrode gaps you have. But,
the quantity of gaps can affect the efficiency due to thermal losses. If
we look at electron speed, well, it's far too fast to be derived as a
cause to the problem. There is another more basic reason why. It does
take some measurement tools to find it. But, if the two gaps are working
well, then use them. I use multi-gaps also on my 4.5" diameter coil. The
reason I use them is their excellent thermal dissipation due to the high
current I run on this little coil. Hollow tubes are superior to any
solid electrode. Surface area is why. If an electrode is solid, it is
slow to heat and slow to cool, and can get too hot to be of use (sparks
start out good but quickly diminish). In order to dissipate heat quickly
(efficient balance), the electrode must heat quickly and cool quickly.
Thus, copper tubes work excellent for this with a smart air cooling
topology. It allows high current on a small gap.

On very low power systems, there isn't a big difference, but as you
increase current, then the issue of thermal dissipation becomes
extremely important.

Take care,
Bart