Re: [TCML] TC Newbie

Hi Gareth,

Comments interspersed below:

kingsandangels@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Bart, I Also meant to clarify that the voltage breakdown in the gap,if it takes slightly longer,Then doesnt it load the current for slightly longer?
If breakdown takes "longer" than from a previous setup, there are a couple obvious mechanisms. If charging current decreased, the rate of charge slows down. The result is a lower bps with the same energy per bang, but less power through the gap over time. If you increase the gap width, the voltage will need to charge to a higher voltage to arc the gap. The result is again a lower bps, but higher energy at every bang. The current load on the transformer is due to the transformer impedances (transformer, shunts, ballasts, etc).

(If the gap is hot, will it ironise longer?)or just empty every last ounce of voltage out the tank caps even if the voltage is lower than breakout due to the already ironised hot path?
If the gap is hot, the breakdown voltage at the electrodes will lower. The result is a faster break rate at a lower voltage and less energy per bang. There is also a problem in that much of your power is being waisted as heat and not getting to the sparks. Hot gaps switch energy in the cap just like cold gaps, but the losses are very high. It's like running on a treadmill (a lot of energy going nowhere).

Heat is definately playing a role in my gap.It likes the gap to warm up to a very high temp but not too high(50-60'C).That U piece of solid steel in the middle of my gap is actually a Multi-Lock,gear lock,and I have another 2 of them in case its too hot(So you cant touch it)I just change them around once every 15min or so.One last go for me Bart.Gareth
Gareth, this is counter-intuitive to mostly everyone who has worked with spark gaps. Hot gaps are a very common source of waisted energy in Tesla coils. It's not difficult to understand that it takes energy to make the gap hot. If energy is making the gap hot, the arc voltage is lowering while you are running and the waisted energy in the gap "could" be used to make a more efficient coil at producing longer and hotter sparks. Ideally, we want to run as cold as possible. The less thermal change there is with the spark gap electrodes, the more consistent our firing voltage will be at the gap. In reality, our gaps can run a little warm, but should not be hot. High power air across the electrodes is the usual choice to achieve an efficient spark gap. Also, the choice and configuration of electrodes and how air passes through the elctrodes is very helpful.

Take care,
Bart