Re: [TCML] SCR turn off spike

Hi Bert..

Are you connecting a short ground connection from the tip end your oscilloscope probe to the circuit you're measuring? If not, fast the rising/falling logic signals will cause ringing artifacts. Your scope waveform shows an even larger positive spike, and both spikes look like they may simply be measurement artifacts. In any event, SCR's are pretty robust - as long as you don't use excessive gate drive current you should be fine.

I think the ground connection was on the busbar ground, not directly on the SCR ground, so it could be that I am reading something which isn't actually there...

The spike upwards is in fact the 5V 555 pulse, if you look at the full page http://www.future-technologies.co.uk/IMPULSE/newcoilprog/index2.htm you can see what I mean better.

I will investigate the ground connections later and see if I can get a better result!

Cheers,
Chris