Re: [TCML] Capacitor Conundrum

Hi DC,

> The energy is not stored in the dielectric material.  It is stored in the
> electrostatic field between the plates, which of course, is focused and
> intensified by the intervening plastic, glass, etc.

I disagree.  R. Hull charged a "plastic" dielectric sheet between two metal plates.  He removed the metal plates and rolled up the plastic sheet.  He put the dielectric sheet into a mailing tube and sent it to a friend many states away.  The original metal plates remained with Richard.

His friend put the plastic sheet between two new metal plates, and voila, measured a charge across his newly constructed capacitor.

So, how did the capacitor charge move several states?  How did the electrostatic field between the original plates move several states without the benefit metal plates?  Only to have the electrostatic field reconstitute
itself between different metal plates at great distance?

Could it be, in this particular instance, that the electrostatic field was stored in the dielectric?  And, in this case, the electrostatic field was transferred to another physical place without benefit of being stored between metal plates?

stork