Re: [TCML] Primary LC efficiency

Yes, Rich Hull with his interesting experiments during the early 90's has
shown us using a bit more inductance is better due to the surge impedance
factor.
I usually shoot for approx 6-10 turns with an NST type coil and 5-8 turns
with a large pole xmfr type coil.

Using a slightly higher value inductance reduces some strain on the
capacitor.

Solid state coils seem to prefer the opposite --- a bit more capacitance and
a bit less inductance.
Many solid state and IGBT driven type coils use 2-4 or 5 turns for best
performance. (probably due to the lower
buss voltage).

Dr. Resonance