Re: [TCML] Hazards of Asynchronious arc gaps?

Harold -

  When you say "I have seen it go 7X on one coil", I assume you mean the peak voltage in the tank circuit?

  How were you measuring the voltage in the tank circuit (i.e. what type of instrumentation was being used) when the spark gap failed to fire and the "ring-up" incidents occurred?

  Even if the coil in question was only powered by a 9KV NST, being able to accurately measure 63KV or higher (7 X 9,000) is not an easy task, and I'm very interested to learn how you made these voltage measurements. Did you use a commercial HV divider, or some other means?

  Regards,
  Herr Zapp

Harold Weiss <hweiss@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  Hi Harvey,

With NST drive, you want to be running with a syncronous gap. Otherwise you
may kill the NST by overvolting when the gap fails to fire on the peak, and
the voltage rings up extremely high. That's probably what's happening to
the caps as well. I have seen it go 7X on one coil, but generally, it's
between 2-4X for most coils.

David Weiss