Re: RE: [TCML] Toroid Problems

Nicholas -

   The changes that are being suggested here are not intended to represent a final, optimized coil, but diagnostic tools to determine what is wrong with your coil, and what you need to do to bring it into tune. Once you know what needs to be modified to achieve resonance, then you can begin the long trial-and-error experimentation period that's required to squeeze the last inch or performance out of the coil.

  Gary Lau's suggestion to remove one or two of the caps from the tank circuit is probably the easiest experiment to start with: simply "bypass" a single cap with a jumper wire (short it out), and re-tune.  Assuming you stick with a 9KV NST (12.7KV peak-to-peak), you should still be safe if you run 11 or even 10 caps, although you will have reduced your voltage "safety margin" somewhat.

  After you achieve resonance by experimentation, you can determine what you want to do as a "permanent" fix: change toroid, change tank cap value, change number of primary turns, etc.

  However, if you are anything like the majority of Tesla coil builders, you will soon find that a coil is never "finished". You'll eventually get it running and "optimized", but then you'll stumble across a higher voltage or higher current NST, or a roll of magnet wire just perfect for a 6" coil, or a 24" spun toroid, or .......

  Regards,
  Herr Zapp

  "Nicholas J. Goble" <ngoble@xxxxxxx> wrote:
  What would be the best way to tune my coil, without limiting my
performance? In other words, what would be worse: larger primary,
smaller caps, or smaller toroid?

Also, would tapping my caps be unsafe? I was told that my MMC's
voltage rating should be 2-3 times my NST's output. If I tap my MMC,
will that be unsafe?

Nicholas Goble