Re: Sparks to Mid-Air (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sat, 27 Oct 2007 08:14:51 -0400
From: Dave Pierson <davep@xxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Sparks to Mid-Air (fwd)

>This is something that's been bugging me for a while.  I like to
>understand things that I see and do, but I can't figure out how a Tesla
>coil can create sparks into mid-air.
    Same way anything else does.
    Localized corona breakdown, followed by a visible streamer.

>You'd have to have some voltage generated in the air relative to the Tesla
>coil topload (I think), but how?
    Once the field strength exceeds breakdown, corona starts, initially
    invisibly.  If power is available, one or more path will extend.

> Is this dependent on the frequency at all?
    On one level:
     No.

    A van de Graaff will cheerfully spark over to air.

    Details of spark appearance may change.

> Like, would a theoretical Tesla coil operating at a very low frequency still
> generate sparks into mid-air?
    The van de Graaff is DC.  'bout as low as it gets.

    best
     dwp