Re: Ballast Resistance For Pig Coils (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sat, 27 Oct 2007 13:37:42 +0000
From: David Rieben <drieben@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: drieben@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Ballast Resistance For Pig Coils (fwd)

Hi Adam,

I have used resistive ballasting in series with my inductive ballast
in my control panel for my big coil before. As far as the "thump-
ing", I have experienced it, but only on a few occasions. I think
the thumping is a result of the inductor resonating with the trans-
former so that would probably explain why it goes away when
you change the BPS rate. I was using huge power resistors for
about 1 ohm of additional resistance to the ballasting circuit.
However, I do not like the resistance approach as large amounts
of power are wasted in the form of heat. I had to run forced
air across the resistors and they would still glow cherry red! It
made for a nice incidental shop heater during the coldest winter
days, but wasn't worth a crap the rest of the year, especially du-
ring that long string of 100 degree + days that most of the south-
ern US experienced this past August. Actually, I rarely get to
fire my big Green Monster coil since I have to roll it out on the
driveway and fire it outdoors in front of suburban neighbors but
I do use the control panel pretty often to fire my monster Jacob's
ladder inside. I think many bigpig coilers manage to get around
the power-wasting (and voltage dropping) power resistors in
their ballasting circuits these days. I would try either going back
to the welder ballast or adjusting my breakrate to stop the
thumping before I'd break down and use resistors. However,
if you're determnined to go the resistor route, I still have the
big resistors that I was using in my control panel that I would be
willing to sell since I have no intentions of going back to resis-
tance ballasting at pole pig power levels. ;^)

--
David Rieben