RE: Sparks to Mid-Air (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sat, 27 Oct 2007 20:42:14 +0000
From: "Lau, Gary" <Gary.Lau@xxxxxx>
To: 'Tesla list' <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: Sparks to Mid-Air (fwd)

I don't know - I thought the dynamics behind a TC's streamers-to-air were
fundamentally different than what occurs on a VDG.  In a VDG, you might
see and hear small amounts of corona bleeding off into the air, but you
don't get big bright sparks unless there is a direct path at a suitably
short distance to a grounded target.  If the target is too far away, you
don't get the discharge.

In a TC, I believe the difference is that since the HV is at a high
frequency, a current path from the top load to earth exists by virtue of
the capacitance to earth, even if there's not a direct path.  That current
path wouldn't exist if it were a low frequency or DC.  But at this point,
my theory degrades to a certain amount of hand waving, and usually Bert
Hickman chimes in with the proper terminology and a definitive and much
more complex answer.

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA