ARDTSG (Was "Spark Gap Sustaining Current") (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 08 Oct 2007 20:46:13 -0500
From: Crispy <crispy@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: ARDTSG (Was "Spark Gap Sustaining Current")

In reference to its switch counterpart, I think the new type of spark
gap that was being discussed could be called a Double Throw Spark Gap.
I just finished building mine, and am ordering the parts to finished the
Tesla coil.  I also made a short web page on it ...
http://tangent.cluenet.org/~chules/hv/tesla/dtsg.html

The one that I made is constructed from an angle grinder.  It's mounted
such that the axis of rotation is perpendicular to the base plane and
the electrodes rotate above the angle grinder.  Because I don't have
tools to machine a disc and a propeller gap wouldn't have worked with
the angle grinder, the part that rotates is two G10 bars mounted
perpendicular to each other, with short tungsten rods mounted
perpendicular to the rods at the ends.  There are 4 moving contacts and
2 sets of stationary contacts, each of which can act as its own switch.
The stationary contacts are mounted at 45 degree angles from each other
such that the moving contacts alternate between the two.  Pictures
forthcoming.

Chris B