Re: Jacobsladder-Oscillator

Hi Kurt,

My thinking on this was that the electrostatic force between the two JL rods is always attractive (discounting zero crossing). The rods seem to have a natural resonance of around 1 Hz. With a sudden application of power, the attraction is like a unit step function that will induce a natural response. I'm not sure what you are really getting at with the term "eigenresonant frequency". I think there is only one resonate frequency of the rods and I'm having a hard time understanding how eigen values come into play. But maybe so. I need to think about this more. In any case, the major response of the rods was the fundamental at 1 Hz.

I'm not sure what an Andiruptor is so maybe I dont understand the setup. I was thinking of a variac driving a PIG driving the JL.

Gerry R.

Original poster: "Kurt Schraner" <k.schraner@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi Gerry,

before talking about the experiment: I'm shure, a slow ramp up will _not_ cause the rods to rock! It's certainly the repeated application of a small force, in the Eigenresonant frequency of the JL, which does the job. - Remember the children's-swing: it can be set in appreciable movement, by pushing it with your finger's little force only, if applying the pushs periodically, in the right moment. To recognize the displacement of the swing, caused by one static application of the small force, you'd need to have a very close look at a small displacement (this corresponds to the experiment proposed). In extending the analogy, your finger would push the swing in a frequency of ~545Hz (like a sewing machine ;-)), which is orders of magnitude faster than the Eigenresonance = quasi static. I "think" we can and will try to do the experiment. It corresponds to measuring the effect of a static force of around 0.04N (40 ponds) or less, on the JL rods. This will lead to a very small displacement. And the force will be applied 545 times per second (_not_ 60Hz!). I see at least 2 problems we must overcome, in order to realize the experiment:

1.) Very slowly bringing the power resp. HV up on the JL, remembering the HV is coming from an induction coil (not a pure DC source). This problem is probably easy, by means of the Andiruptor, where we can ramp up the end-charging-current easily, while not starting at zero.

2.) Mounting a displacement measuring device at the top of the JL, which is not disturbing the field, and can be recorded without risk for the observer. Some ideas to this are developping.

So, the experiment will not be a one moment action, but helping to clarify the dominant mechanism, which is moving the rods of the JL. I'll report on the outcome. If it differs from my model-ideas we have a more interesting subject! ;-)

Thanks Gerry, for your answers and proposal.

Cheers,
       Kurt

Tesla list wrote:

Hi Kurt,

Here's an experiment for you.  Can you very slowly bring the power up
on the JL but not to the point of starting an arc.  I'm curious how a
60 Hz field can cause an oscillation of 1 Hz.  I'm thinking the
sudden application of power is causing its natural response.  If so,
maybe a slow ramp up will not cause the rods to rock.

Gerry R.

<snip>