TCML technical discussions - what happened? (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2007 11:39:46 -0700 (PDT)
From: Brett Miller <brmtesla2@xxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: TCML technical discussions - what happened? (fwd)

John, all,

That was a great letter John, I feel much the same.  I
am not sure about now, but I know that at one point
there were around 1500+ members on the TCML.  Of the 7
or so years that I've been on here (off and on at
times) the main component of discussion was being
carried out by the same core group of active
guys/gals.  However, sometimes new people would join
and would have a lot to say, and this was a real treat
too.  I've always loved documenting my own projects on
here and I loved it when others did so as well.  Of
course with just a few dozen people doing the talking
it is obvious that most people are just "lurking",
soaking up info and hopefully learning from the
process.  This is great, and I've done this myself
regarding certain topics, plus it is the sole function
of the archives -- a research tool.  That's why I've
gone back several times and read every thread, even
sending Terry his fee to copy everything on
hot-streamer onto CDROMs for me.

But I totally agree with John regarding "stimulation
of discussion" on the list.  During '05 - '06, and
probably most of '04 too I was out of coiling...doing
other stuff, other hobbies, etc.  When I got back into
it around new years this year I decided to build tube
coils.  A look through the archives showed that around
August (or therabouts) of '06, Cameron Prince and
David Rieben had done the same and generated quite a
bit of discussion regarding VTTCs.  In the intervening
months that discussion had finally died down.  Once I
documented my interest and evolving 833A/813 project,
discussion blew up again to my splendid surprise.  Of
course, by now it has died down again.  So, yeah, in
order for vibrant debate and discussion (very good for
the scientific/engineering process) to continue, it
certainly needs constant stimulation.

Ok, so I did not proofread this rant, but "you know
what I mean".  Thank you to Gary Lau for kicking up
dust on the SISG topic here.  I wanted to do it, but I
was holding out for longer sparks for greater dramatic
effect.  I will be posting pictures of my SISG cool in
a couple or so weeks.

-Brett

http://farechase.yahoo.com/