Re: Wireless power transfer (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2007 13:12:28 -0500
From: Bert Hickman <bert.hickman@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Wireless power transfer (fwd)

Hi Steve,

Non-contact electric toothbrush and shaver chargers use simple
transformer action at line frequency, and because of closer proximity,
significantly higher coupling coefficients - it's basically a
transformer with relatively loose coupling (compared to a normal
iron-core transformer), so it has significantly high leakage inductance.

The approach used by the MIT folks uses a pair of inductively coupled
tuned circuits operating at the common resonant frequency of the tuned
circuits, driven from a CW RF source. By using high Q transmitter and
receiver coils and relatively high coupling coefficient (k), energy
coupling can approach 100%. With lower coupling, it will take longer for
the receiver to "ring up" to full power.

Using looser coupling simply means that it take longer to completely
transfer energy from one system to the other, and various system losses
become more important in limiting overall efficiency. As one would
expect, the total energy that can be continuously extracted from the
secondary system rapidly declines as coupling is reduced.

Bert
--
We specialize in UNIQUE items! Coins shrunk by huge
magnetic fields, Lichtenberg Figures (our "Captured