Re: 3 phase TC (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 3 Jun 2007 09:07:17 -0700 (PDT)
From: J. Aaron Holmes <jaholmes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: 3 phase TC (fwd)

360 / 3 = 120, not 60 :-))  Never heard of 120V
three-phase either, unless you speak of 208Y where you
have 120V between each hot and neutral.  In that case,
connecting two hots yields 120 * sqrt(3) = 208V.

Still, producing a "triplet" or "tri-mode" system this
way seems possible.  I'd hesitate to call it a
"three-phase coil", since it's really three coils
operating out of phase.  Since the angle of separation
would be less than for a twin system, and since you'd
be powering three coils instead of two, it seems like
it'd be a lot harder to get long sparks.  Still, it
would definitely be interesting!

Perhaps there is some way to produce an actual
"three-phase coil" (AC), though, using a special gap
or multiple gaps and maybe multiple primaries.  I
think this has been discussed here before.  It's hard
for me to see where such a system would have any
advantage over a single-phase system run at a higher
breakrate, though.

If there is such a thing as a "common" use for
three-phase power in the TC community, it is for DC
coiling.  The coil named "Electrum" is/was, I believe,
a DC coil fed with three pole pigs rectified.

Regards,
Aaron, N7OE