Re: 180 BPS synch? (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2007 19:34:58 -0700
From: Barton B. Anderson <bartb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: 180 BPS synch? (fwd)

Hi Phil,

No, the modeling does not. I expect others have noticed similar optimum
bps rates when running in this mode and I expect they found their
optimum in the 300's somewhere (if they used a variable speed drive of
some type). This is not a synchronous motor and that should be inserted
here. This is simply an arsg using a VFD to control the speeds,
direction, torque, etc.

I have noticed that if I begin going too fast, the spark lengths
decrease rapidly. It doesn't take much more. It also runs more
erratically at lower speeds but the spark lengths are still pretty good.
There is simply a speed at which the sparks are good and the spark
operation is "really" smooth. It's at that point where you can't hear
the spark gap at all and all you hear are the sparks themselves. When
running srsg, I could run good, but I was still stuck in one domain or
another. By varying the bps to whatever I wanted, with the help of a VFD
maintaining a constant speed at whatever I set it to, I could find the
best possible bps, at least for this coil and gap setup. I'm sure others
would have better performance at other bps ranges and I'm sure it's
based on gap efficiency and coil parameters.

I determined the bps not through measuring, but by calculating the bps
based on the speed of the VFD reading. So, the number is based on a back
calculation. If there were a great number of misfirings, I would be off
by whatever margin. So, as I am big into measurements, I want to make
sure that is clear.

Take care,
Bart