Re: Vegas pole pigs can't take the heat (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 6 Jul 2007 15:23:09 -0700 (PDT)
From: G Hunter <dogbrain_39560@xxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Vegas pole pigs can't take the heat (fwd)

This is a puzzle.  I'm no engineer, but I think pole
transformers are protected from overload by a
"blowout" fuse or a mechanical recloser.  If too many
customers switch on the AC, why don't these protect
the transformer from excessive current?

I lived on an Air Force base in the deep south for
many years.  Every year on the first really hot day of
summer, a large polemount (supported on a trestle
between two poles) transformer would fail at the
hottest part of the afternoon.  Even though this pole
unit was 2 or 3 blocks away, I could hear it fail just
before my base housing unit lost power.  I recall the
distinctive growling sound of power arcing so loud it
echoed around the base.  Once or twice I actually saw
the flicker of blue-white light playing off nearby
trees and structures, even in the brassy summer
sunshine.  Once it actually burst into a smokey,
spectacular fire, flaming oil dripping to the ground.
Fortunately, the errant unit was in an open area away
from houses and streets.

This was between 1984-95, and I've forgotten exactly
how many times it failed, but it happened often enough
that I came to expect it every year--sort of like the
4th of July.  After one such summer failure, I noticed
the replacement unit was much bigger than before.  The
transformer never failed again.  I guess somebody
finally got a clue.

If the smaller, failure-prone unit was overloaded by
peak summer demand, why didn't the protective devices
kick in?

Cheers,

Greg

http://sims.yahoo.com/