Sent: Saturday, December 08, 2007 4:47 PM
Subject: RE: [TCML] Q,,question { litz wire }

j   [is that your real name?]

You say (or others say ?) litz wire can't be tapped.

I understand that the function of litz wire is to reduce the skin affect
resistance to high frequency current.  I am guessing that a solder clump
which fuses the bundle of litz wires together at any particular point on the
litz wire will appear as a small resistor in series to high frequency
current flowing through the wire. And this current should pass through none
the worse, except for the calculable resistance effects.   So why
couldn't/shouldn't it be tapped?

Regards,

Al Erpel

PA, USA, 18901

[snippetty do da]

Could be he was. It was an idea that I thought was feasible.
I have several hundred lbs litz #3 stranded(Iknow ,,can't be
tapped) Perhaps I will go with the 80% Litz,,20% strap. I'm
looking for least primary turns possible for a 16"D wound
w/#14 magnet for 80 inches secondary.

Thanks for all the feedback.