Re: Laser and tesla coil (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2007 19:17:32 -0600
From: Gomez Addams <gomezaddams@xxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Laser and tesla coil (fwd)

On Aug 10, 2007, at 4:05 PM, Tesla list wrote:

> [...]

If you do a bit of research on the web, you will find that the peak
power
required for this trick is beyond the reach of most amateur
experimenters.
And it's not just the power, it's the wavelength.  Try a few
megawatts of
UV.  :) (not as hard as it sounds, but tabletop N2 lasers which can
easily
generate MW peak power in <1nS pulse widths don't do it, so that should
give you an idea how hard it is.

I am pretty sure that _no_ CW laser will do it, period, full stop,
not even
the COIL or MIRACL machines.

  - G.

Once when told that Apple Computer bought a CRAY supercomputer
to simulate their next Apple computer design, Seymour Cray
remarked, "Funny, I am using an Apple to simulate the CRAY-3."