Re: My 4 inch tesla coil - part 2

Original poster: Finn Hammer <f-h@xxxx>

Eric,

You should remove the innermost turn, perhaps the innermost 1,5 turn.

It is too close to the primary.

With a damage so close to the end of the secondary, simply unvind wire untill the damaged wire is off. Retune a bit, and go!

Hope it helps.

Cheers, Finn Hammer

Tesla list skrev:
Original poster: "Hydrogen18" <hydrogen18@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
I've made the suggested improvements to my primary coil, which you can see here: <http://www.hydrogen18.com/projectlogs/hivolt/4inchtesla/>http://www.hydrogen18.com/projectlogs/hivolt/4inchtesla/
and the results here:
<http://www.hydrogen18.com/projectlogs/hivolt/4inchtesla/4_15_2007/>http://www.hydrogen18.com/projectlogs/hivolt/4inchtesla/4_15_2007/
Questions arising from such:
- I've got rather active arcing from the primary to the secondary now. How do I solve this. More layers of shellac on the secondary? Even if I eliminate the breakout point from the secondary that I unintentionally created, I think it's just going to arc from the first turn to the secondary. - Is there any hope of repairing the secondary? Although it has tiny burnt spots on it, it doesnt seem dead yet..I'm getting pretty good performance. No shorted turns im guessing. Can I sand the carbonized areas off with high grade sand paper before re-shellacing? - Before anyone mentions it, yes I'm still using the same terrible spark gap. I don't think that's much of a concern at the moment given my other problems.
Eric