Re: Re: [] Re: Thoraited Tungsten Rods

Original poster: Mike <megavolts61@xxxxxxxxx>

I don't know of any term like that, but alpha particles are very ionizing(an alpha source, Americium 241 is used in smoke detectors for that very reason). An alpha particle steals two electrons from the air and ionizes the air...making it conductive....more so than normal air. Jim Lux mention a triggering system using, most likely nickel 63. It is a beta emitter, so in that case, you have free electrons buzzing about. It would likely be a better choice for the tungsten, except it is not naturally occuring so very expensive. Thorium is relatively abundant and cheap
Mike

Original poster: "Teslacoil Workshop" <workshop@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

The addition of thorium dioxide does not increase the conductivity of
tungsten. Thorium is added to make the arc easier to start and maintain
because it is a particle emitter. Perhaps someone can jump in with the
scientific word for the radioactive arc starting property... I thought
it
was called "preessence" or something like that.

Jeff

Check out <http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=48245/*http://autos.yahoo.com/new_cars.html;_ylc=X3oDMTE1YW1jcXJ2BF9TAzk3MTA3MDc2BHNlYwNtYWlsdGFncwRzbGsDbmV3LWNhcnM->new cars at Yahoo! Autos.