Re: Tesla coil on Ebay; 80-300' lightning?

Original poster: Shaun Epp <scepp@xxxxxxx>

I sent a post to this guy saying that a tesla coil that size would not produce arcs 80 too 300 feet long, and He replied with an explaination. See Below:

Quote: Hi, my misunderstood what my boss told me, the device lighted the flourescents in the building 300 feet away, the bolts went up an average of 30 feet with some he thought topping that as they went higher than the top of a commercial tiltup building and then some. A police Helicopter was atracted by the display, he reported seeing it several miles away. The device draws 50 amps single phase at 220v. The coil was specially made and had extensive work and tuning done. I have not personally seen the device work as the last time it was used it damaged a lot of sensitive electronics within the building including the burglar alarm. We have far too many sensitive things inside our building to risk playing with something that produces strong EMP fields. Aparently a DOD sat did note the device the last time it was turned on, that was confirmed by the guy who built the device who called someone he knew.

           Details for item number: 220099893593
           Item title: Giant Megavolt Tesla Coil for Special effects HUGE
Item URL: http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220099893593&sspagename=ADME:L:RTQ:CA:1
           End date:  Sunday, Apr 15, 2007 20:17:50 EDT

Shaun Epp