Re: Tesla coil on Ebay; 80-300' lightning?

Original poster: BunnyKiller <bunnikillr@xxxxxxx>

OK...

for all of you that have built coils comprabile to the size of the coil listed... have you ever produced streamers to the lenght proposed by the seller of said coil???
lets talk facts ..

less than 50KVA
rotary spark gap
4-5 primary turns
ehhh 10-12" secondary dia maybe 50-60" tall ( looking at the picture of the coil)
given that you have a power supply that can charge a impressive cap at 50KVA...
still you  are lacking the "power" to produce  streamers to  the length
"proposed" by the seller
with the right anles in photography you can make a 6' streamer look quite impressive and yes toroid size makes a difference... so those of you proposing that a 20" toroid is just as "good" as a 42" toriod,
there is a matter of physical capacitance to consider....

even tho the seller is quoting 80 -300 ( feet of inches) is a misinterpiation of what the original owner quoted

Ive been on this list for eons ( well it seems that way) and yet I have to see any one break the 25' streamer length othet than the Elecrtum coil in (IIRC Australia, New Zealand "down South area) ( cant remember his name at the moment altho an very impressive coil I may add) and a few instances of some of the "really" professional guys ( like Dr. Res and the such) can get to the 25' lengths...

and yes the coil is well made but consider the power needed to do what the seller is quoting... its not going to happen

I feel sorry for the final buyer of the coil when he/she hooks it up and only to find out that the coil will produce a max of maybeeeeee 12' I know I would be peaved to the max not seeing the 300' streamers quoted by the seller and especially for the going price....

just my thoughts at the moment...

SD

<http://g.msn.com/8HMBENUS/2734??PS=47575>MSN is giving away a trip to Vegas to see Elton John. Enter to win today.