Re: 4 Inch tesla coil - Inquiries

Original poster: nancylavoie@xxxxxxxxxxx I agree with Bart on the tywrap deal,they always seem to allow the primary to shift around.I've had good luck with those tack down coaxial cable clamps.They fit 1/4 copper tubing perfectly as well as working as a fool proof spacer between turns.You can pick up a jug of them at the local Home Depot for about $10.And no, the tiny nails that hold them down do not effect anything whatsoever(I was kind of uncertain about trying this for fear of sparks or inductive heating etc.).Wyatt

From: "Tesla list" <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>

> [...]
> what others have done and find what you think you would like to do.
> Tywraps are pretty easy, so I used them in the past simply because of
> that. But lately I am fond of using non-conductive runners where the
> primary can be snapped in and held in place. A bit more work on the
> design and requires more work to make, but it does look good (well,
> after a few trial and errors, it will look good). But for quick and
> easy primary's, tywraps are hard to beat.
>
> T he spa rk gap is as I imagined it. Build a large pipe gap. The
> sphere's are going to heat and pit the brass spheres due to your cap
> energy (your bang energy is high and based on the cap voltage and cap
> size). Your gap would probably do ok for a low energy coil, but not
> for the energy your running. You want to dissipate and stabilize that
> heat. To do that, you need a material that is quick to heat and to
> cool. The thin walls of a copper pipe have little mass and are quick
> to heat. But, they are also quick to cool, so using forced air
> through those pipes will cool them easily. You then find the amount
> of air needed to keep the pipes relatively cool. Usually, guys just
> throw a fan at it and call it done. Most of the time that's ok.
> Sometimes, there's just not enough air for the pipe sections used. If
> the pipes get hot, increase air flow. I personally like large 1.25"
> pip es ins ide a cylinder and then I suck the air through the pipes.
> Here's a pic.
>
> http://www.classictesla.com/photos/ba45/s2752.jpg
>
> All I did there was epoxy a 4" cut of 4.5" pvc to the open hole on
> the squirrel cage fan (and painted green since that was the only
> color in the cabinet). I then used a slightly smaller pvc form (just
> happened to fit nicely inside the epoxied pvc form on the fan) to
> epoxy the copper pipes into place. Pretty simple to make. Note the
> solid brass section in front of the copper pipe section. The brass
> sucked! The copper pipes are far superior at thermal stabilization.
> What is nice about a gap like this is that the white pvc can be slid
> out easily (which is nice for testing various gap styles and really
> why I did it like this). Also, the white portion was actually a pvc
> cap. I simply cut a hole in the bottom leaving a 1/4" lip t o set the
> copper pipes onto for positioning. Too much lip will hinder air flow
> (the brass section actually had too much lip, but this is actually
> the first of two brass sections where I used a small lip on the
> second, but the brass still did not do well). The gap could be
> improved by adding a center plastic baffle between the pipes which
> would further force air over and through only the pipes, but I didn't
> find that necessary once I used the large copper sections. I actually
> did that when I tested the solid brass gap, but the brass itself
> simply maintains the heat (which is the whole problem). You just can
> cool it down with air flow like a pipe gap can be cooled.

&gt
; > I now have some pictures at:

> >http://www.hydrogen18.com/projectlogs/hivolt/4inchtesla/
> >
> >and in response to your concerns:
> >
> >Primary to secondary coupling - I think I should rebuild my primary
> >to locate the first turn of both coils as close together as possible
> >without the risk of arc over.
> >
> >Spark gap- My current spark gap is an improvement over previous
> >designs(
> >http://www.hydrogen18.com/projectlogs/hivolt/3inchtesla/IMG_6748.jpg
> >) but is still poor. I was noticing heat buildup while running the
> >coil on 4/2/2007. Would adapting the 1/2 copper pipe up to 3/4 inch
> >and then putting pipe caps on function better than this setup? I
> >presume I could drill holes in it to allow for more airflow throughout it?
> >----- Original Message ----- From: "Tesla list" < BR>> >To:
> >Sent: Sunday, April 01, 2007 8:29 PM
> >Subject: Re: 4 Inch tesla coil - Inquiries
> >

> >>Original poster: "Barton B. Anderson"
> >>
> >>Hello,
> >>
> >>Lot's of detailed information and annotation regarding your coil.
> >>Thanks for that. I think most would agree that the spark gap is the
> >>biggest are of concern, but I'd like to intersperse comments. See below.

&g
t; >>>Secondary - 4 inch Schedule 80 pipe, 1500 turns 28 awg, 18 inches long

> >>If it's 28 awg magnet wire, it's about a maximum of 1230 turns if
> >>closewound with no winding error for an 18 inch winding length.
> >>That is based on thin insulation as well. If it were double or
> >>triple insulation, the turns would be even less. Not a big deal,
> >>but I do like to note discrepancies. To verify, mark off 1 inch of
> >>winding and count the turns in that 1 inch space (I like to simply
> >>use masking tape to mark off the 1" area). You should count about
> >>68 turns for 1230 turn coil.

> >>Wow, that must be quite a large inner primary hole (3.25 inch
> >>spacing between primary and secondary). Yields a low coupling. If
> >>you even rebuild the primary, you could certainly tighten that up
> >>to about 1" to 1.5" spacing).

> >>Biggest problem is the spark gap. The brass drawer pulls are often
> >&

gt;sol id brass. Once they heat up your discharge voltage across the
> >>two sphere's will decrease and output will suffer dramatically,
> >>even with a fan across them. You would probably gain the best
> >>performance rebuilding the spark gap to maybe a heavy duty static
> >>gap such as a RQ/TCBOR style (pipes mounted inside a PVC tubing
> >>with a goodly fan either sucking or blowing across the pipes). I
> >>recommend large 1.25 inch diameter pipe segments (available ready
> >>to go in 3" or 4" segments at most hardware stores). They will cool
> >>much faster and will maintain a steady state temp with proper air flow.

> &gt
;>

> >>Should be fine.

> >>This is fine to. The full cap bank capacitance is 0.0563uF. Based
> >>on your system, you are probably tuning in about 5 turns. The cap
> >>size explains the narrow tuning range as well. I'll comment later on that.

> &

gt;>>Schedule 80 with an adjustable iron core(I have also left the

> >>Should be good for lots of current. No problems there.

> >&

gt;>tuning this coil, just starting at turn one and moving out until I

> >>Yes, less capacitance will increase the range of tuning. There's a
> >>ratio of C and L for any given resonant frequency. The more C you
> >>have, the less L you have to play with.

> >>It can if it's close enough to the field.

> >>It's not the lower coupling, it's the fact that the tank cap value
> >>is so large compared to the inductance required to tune into the
> >>resonant frequency of the secondary. If the cap were 10 times
> >>smaller, your tuning sensitivity would decrease by the same amount.

> >>The charging current, as long as it is beefy enough to charge the
> >>caps within a decent time frame will never be problem. But if a
> >>weak tranny were used, you would then experience charging problems.

> >>Still a problem. Solid brass will not perform as well as properly
> >>designed copper pipe gap unless something special were added to
> >>them to allow quick dissipation of the heat. Of course, it's very
> >>easy to build a poor copper pipe gap as well. Large radius, proper
> >>spacing, and well designed air flow are the main ingredients for a
> >>nice running pipe gap.
> &gt
;>

> >>Nope, tuning is not changing. A primary with a lot of gap to gap
> >>differences will only look ugly, it will still perform just as well
> >>a nicely wound primary. The only time it might cause a problem is
> >>if two segments were close enough to arc together. Tuning will not
> >>change unless the caps were heating up and changing their value.
> >>Most likely, primary and gap heating is simply changing the arc
> >>voltage and decreasing performance. Easy to identify: basically, it
> >>starts out good and after a little while of running, sparks start
> >>diminishing in length.
> >&

gt;

> >>Look for heat. If their getting hot, your definitely going to have
> >>problems. I would rebuild this part of the system first. A lot of
> >>people here have built a lot of different gap types that work well.
> >>Almost anything would beat the brass sphere's on a coil like yours
> >>which has a big tank cap and lots of energy.

> &g
t;> >side side RMS VAC that I shouid aim to have the spark gap breakdown at?

> >>Opening the gap will increase the voltage required to arc the gap.
> >>This won't help and only puts the MOT stack at risk. For 1" brass
> >>sphere's, about 0.18" is about right for 10500V output. I wouldn't
> >>go beyond 0.2 myself.

> >>I would. Mainly for raising the coupling. Again, the shape is not a
> >>concern, but low coupling can be if it's too low and your energy is
> >>large (which it is).

> >>Well, actually, depending on the MOT's, you could probably go to a
> >>larger cap size. The problem is that the coil is small for such
> >>energy and a larger cap is unnecessary for spark lengths. Your
> >>better working on reducing the thermal losses.

> >>Well, first, the primary tank energy is high. You are dumping a lot
> >>of current into the primary. Secondly, the coupling is quite low.
> >>This can be similar to run ning the primary without a secondary in
> >>place (which is a big no no). You need a load to dump the energy
> >>to, otherwise, the primary has to get rid of all that energy somehow.
> >>Heat is natures backup mechanism. I would lower the capacitance
> >>from your two strings of 8 to two strings of 16 for .0188uF. This
> >>will increase the primary tap requirement to about 8 turns with
> >>your primary as is. A few reasons is you will put more L into the
> >>circuit, decrease that energy to something the coil would be happy
> >>with, and your peak voltage out the tranny is nearing 15kV (the 8
> >>string is good for 16kV which is a little close). Adding the extra
> >>caps per string will help the voltage rating of the cap bank.

> >>&gt
;the c oil I can employ?