Re: FCC Regulations

Hi Curt,

At 06:05 PM 9/10/2006, you wrote:
Are there any FCC regulations that apply to our hobby? I imagine that the larger coils produce a fiar amount of interference. Thoughts?

Curt.

Assuming your are in the USA...  These are the ones "I" know of...

We fall under Part 15 of the FCC rules which are here:

http://www.fcc.gov/oet/info/rules/part15/part15-8-14-06.pdf

The big ones for us are -

15.5 - which basically says if a Tesla coil is creating interference with others you have to stop running it until the situation is corrected.

15.15a - which says you should try to construct it with "good engineering" so as to minimize RF interference and emissions.

15.23 - A BIG one! - which says home built stuff (5 or less not for sale) is exempt from most requirements as long as it complies with 15.5.

We are exempt from 15.1XX (and many others) rules due to 15.23.

15.217 - Although we are "exempt" from 15.2XX rules, coils operation in the 160 - 190kHz region should not have ground cables longer than 15 meters (lest you run afoul of 15.15a). In general ground cables should be as short as possible for us.

So basically, if it bothers anybody you have to turn it off and fix it before continuing. But otherwise, party hardy ;-)) Most normal Tesla coils will not radiate anything more than a few hundred feet so neighbor's TV are the main concern. If you are right next to a hospital, radio station, military base, or other "sensitive" neighbor with big guns, then tread more softly ;-))

Cheers,

        Terry