Re: Main spark gap across one or both transformer legs?

At 04:49 PM 10/3/2006, you wrote:
Never use the resonant cap size? if the resonant cap size is 0.0088uF then how much higher or lower capacitance should I go? I was planing on doing about 0.0091 anyways

EEeeaakk!!  You want pi/2 x the 0.0088uF!!!

If you have a 9kV 30mA transformer and a static spark gap (pipe tubes, bolts, etc. as opposed to a sync motor rotary gap), You need a roughly 0.0133uF!! The extra capacitance "loads down" the NST so it will not go over voltage.

We should probably start putting "never use" warnings on cap charts!! I just fixed my document with a warning not to use resonant value caps ;-)))

http://hot-streamer.com/temp/FormulasForTeslaCoils.pdf  Version 3.3 now!

Cheers,

        Terry