RE: need some capacitor help

Original poster: "Lau, Gary" <Gary.Lau@xxxxxx>

Hi Russ:

Is that 0.1 inches per segment, or the sum-total of the gaps is 0.1"?
If it's the sum-total, that's probably fine, but there's no formula or
table that can relate the proper gap width to power supply voltage.  The
number of gap segments, altitude, gap geometry, temperature, and
who-knows-what else all make it difficult to predict.  The prevailing
wisdom is to set the gap width so that it will just start to fire with
just the NST hooked up to it at maximum Variac setting.

Ceramic disk capacitors are generally regarded as not-suitable for tank
capacitor use.  Their capacitance changes significantly with temperature
changes, and they WILL get very hot with the currents we put through
them.

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA