Re: How low can a spark gap go?

Original poster: G Hunter <dogbrain_39560@xxxxxxxxx>

> The PIRANHA has a big Cp and sort of low Lp so the Q
> is only about 30
> despite the low Rp of 0.25 (it is actually a bit
> less).  Quenching
> might help there, but ScanTesla does not report any
> giant advantage
> or anything.
>
> So I am going with no quench and no sync triggering.
>  Just letting
> the thing do as it pleases, and it seems very happy
> ;-)))
>

> Cheers,
>
>          Terry

This is not unprecedented. Years ago on his web site
Gary Lau reported his single static sucker gap had
very low losses, resulting in a high Q primary
circuit. He also found that quenching was awful, yet
his NST-based coil performed very well! From where did
we learn the dogma that extraordinary measures must be
taken with our coils & spark gaps to achieve first
notch quenching? Seems like many "real" Tesla coils
work great without any regard to quenching!

Greg