Re: How low can a spark gap go?

Original poster: Finn Hammer <f-h@xxxx>

Greg,

I think this dogma, as you rightly put it, is based on engineering adherence to notions of efficiency, and speculation.

From an engineering standpoint, it would appear that having the energy pass the spark gap more than one time would be "bad", therefore the wish for 1st. notch quenching. However, a sparkgap that forces 1st. notch quenching on a coil that doesn`t naturally want to do so, is bound to have higher losses than ideal. My Museum coil would start at low power with 4th notch quenching, then acheive 1st./2nd. notch quenching at full power.

Several notable colers have mentioned good performing coils that quench naturally at 2nd. notch.

I have made a couple of replicas of Stephen Conner`s big OLTC coils, which have quenching abilities based on time only, so that it can quench in mid energy transfer if wanted, and I always thought it operated with the nicest sound at 2nd. notch quench.

But then I was never much constrained by efficiency parameters, but rather wanted the coil to have a pleasant sound.

Cheers, Finn Hammer

Tesla list skrev:
Original poster: G Hunter <dogbrain_39560@xxxxxxxxx>

 From where did
we learn the dogma that extraordinary measures must be
taken with our coils & spark gaps to achieve first
notch quenching? Seems like many "real" Tesla coils
work great without any regard to quenching!
Greg