Re: SISG first sparks!

Hi Greg,

At 05:28 PM 5/16/2006, you wrote:
Hi Terry,

Over here in Australia we don't have the blessing of high current
single phase feed lines to our houses, though I did manage to convince
someone to install a 40A single phase line :). Those of us wanting to
run large machinery, etc (me), instead are able to have 3-phase
installed - a technically better, more efficient system then what you
US guys have, but not so good for conventional large TC use. This has
always been a nuisance, but maybe now it will be an advantage.

I'm contemplating the construction of a 6-pulse rectified 3-phase
supply using the vast array of MOTs I have lying around, which would
suppply DC relatively free from ripple (note, i say relatively free -
about 14% ripple). If I use two series MOTS (centre tap removed) on
each phase, and assuming I extract the full interphase voltage, we are
looking at about 10kV DC.

I think I would need a picture, but any way you can get high voltage DC at a reasonable power level should be fine.

I'm wondering how you predict the SISG would perform in this scenario?
I assume it would work fine, but probably at 300BPS?

IGBT heating is directly proportional to BPS. The heat is low but another person is going to run at maybe 460 BPS. Those boards have room for larger heatsinks. I think he is going to offer them for sale real soon. Of course you might run larger IGBTs too. One should figure out the RMS and peak currents through the SISG for real high powers like that.

Rell.com apparently really does have 7000 of the IGBTs I use in Singapore. :-)))

Finally SSTC
design has become simple enough for anyone to make, probably with
little to no test equipment - and at high power levels too!

:-))

Cheers,

        Terry

Greg Peters