Re: SISG first sparks!

Original poster: Mr Gregory Peters <s371034@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi Terry,

Over here in Australia we don't have the blessing of high current
single phase feed lines to our houses, though I did manage to convince
someone to install a 40A single phase line :). Those of us wanting to
run large machinery, etc (me), instead are able to have 3-phase
installed - a technically better, more efficient system then what you
US guys have, but not so good for conventional large TC use. This has
always been a nuisance, but maybe now it will be an advantage.

I'm contemplating the construction of a 6-pulse rectified 3-phase
supply using the vast array of MOTs I have lying around, which would
suppply DC relatively free from ripple (note, i say relatively free -
about 14% ripple). If I use two series MOTS (centre tap removed) on
each phase, and assuming I extract the full interphase voltage, we are
looking at about 10kV DC.

I'm wondering how you predict the SISG would perform in this scenario?
I assume it would work fine, but probably at 300BPS? Finally SSTC
design has become simple enough for anyone to make, probably with
little to no test equipment - and at high power levels too!

Greg Peters
Department of Earth Sciences,
University of Queensland, Australia
Phone: 0402 841 677