Re: SRSG - rotor attachment

Hi Nick,

Looks like the part will lock to the motor shaft just fine. The OD of the flange seems small to me. What is the diameter of your rotor and do you notice any problems with such a small flange???

Gerry R.

Original poster: "seanick" <edgarsbat@xxxxxxxxxxx>

I actually use a "Quick-Grip Keyless Bushing" that I ordered from E-Bay, but they have on page 964 of McMaster-Carr's catalog about halfway down the page. There was a discussion about them recently ("Tran-Torque GT") that prompted me to check them out and acquire one. Must say that it works quite well to press the rotor against the 1/2" axle (which I did acquire from McMaster-Carr) and a lot more uniform connection than I ever had on any of my previous gaps. Helps that my rotor was made on a CNC machine by a friend of mine too though.

However I attempted to use a 1/2" universal joint socket to couple the shaft to the synchronous motor, and that appears to have too much play to allow my motor to synch anymore. I have a video of it online at http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1595599978891904649, you can see the synch motor hunting. even though I was really happy to get it running since it gave an arc at the first time, it still needs tuning and I need to figure out the synch hunt problem. other than that though, the bushing works, its just the other parts of the rotary that are problematic.

I will post more info about my spark gap in a separate thread, but as a starting point if you check out the video you see a wood box that houses the motor, and another motor/gearbox hanging off the side (Thanks Bart!) to turn the larger motor and thus adjust the phase, and beside it a plexi box with two bearings, an axle and the rotor connected using the keyless bushing.

Tuning happens this weekend and given the long list of changes I need to make (some of them major, like the incorrect placement of a second static spark gap, in series with the cap thus at least halving the efficiency) and the synch problem I will be able to get much better performance soon.

NICK