Re: SSG's- a couple questions

Original poster: Mddeming@xxxxxxx
Hi Neal,

the lower there NST output voltage, the smaller the sum of all your gap sections has to be. for example, if your gaps with a 15 kV NST totaled 6 mm, then your 9 kV bank should have a total of 3.5 - 4 mm. All else being equal, a larger number of gaps means more surface area of metal for heat dissipation = cooler running & better quenching.

While there are no hard and fast rules, most people go to rotary by the time they go over 5kW. One consideration is noise level. Increased power = increased noise and static gaps are the noisiest. Another is that rotaries are self-quenching and partially self-cooling.

Hope this is some help,

Matt D.