SSG's- a couple questions

Original poster: "Neal Namowicz" <mr_neal@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi all, I've been tinkering with coils for a couple years now, as well as following the tcml, but have finally decided to come to you with a couple of questions re: static spark gaps. First, I've seen so many configurations that I have to ask; are more gaps preferable for better results, instead of just one or two? Has anyone actually gotten better results (given all else being equal) with X number of multiple gaps? In case you're wondering, I am quenching with a small blower fan. My present SG is using a two gap system. Secondly, how "big" can one go with a coil before it'd be advisable to go the rotary gap route, vs. the SSG? By big, I mean, secondary size as well as power input. I just had some rather odd, unexpected results with my 4" the other day. I was getting some fairly decent arcs using my single 15kv/60 nst, with arcs beginning at as low as 30% input from the variac. So naturally, using the "Tim the toolman Taylor" mentality of more power (ugh-ugh :) I decided to connect my nst farm of 6 (yeah, 6) 9/30's connected in parallel. I started cranking up the power and got nothing 'til I was at about 80%, but the safety gap starting going off on me and the arcs weren't any better, if even as good as with the single 15/60. I thank you all in advance for your wisdom and advice, and look forward to your replies.

Neal.