energy conversion [was "exploding wire"]

Original poster: "alfred erpel" <alfred@xxxxxxxxx>

Hi Peter,

	Not to be pedantic, and although 103,000 joules is enough to kill
1000s of people if properly concentrated, it is not near the energy of a
stick of gelignite (dynamite for Americans).  103,000 joules will keep a 25
watt light bulb going for just over an hour.  The energy in a pound of TNT
will light the same light bulb for over 21 hours.  Check out
http://www.1728.com/convenrg.htm to confirm this.  Check out the root site
for all kinds of physical conversions http://www.1728.com/ .

	1 joule  =  1 watt-second  =  1 newton-meter = .73756 foot-pounds
(admittedly the site could be better since they don't talk about
newton-meters, does anyone know of a better conversion site?)

	I am going to guess that it only takes about 15 joules to kill
someone with a worst possible scenario.  Imagine lying down on a table with
a pointed blade suspended 1 foot above you at the bottom of an 11 pound
weight.  When that ll pound weight drops and the blade passes between your
ribs and punctures your heart, you are dead.  15 joules ~= 11 foot-pounds.

	As an analogy, a capacitor has the concentrating ability with
coloumbs as a knife blade point has to the momentum of the dropping mass.
The same dropping mass with a flat bottom (and no knife point) would thud
uncomfortably on your chest and cause you no harm.

Regards,

Al Erpel