Re: energy conversion [was "exploding wire"]

Original poster: "Peter Terren" <pterren@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Quite right, I wrote that from my imperfect memory. Gelignite is a mix predominantly of glyceryl trinitrate (not TNT) which has an energy of 430kJ per 100g stick ie 4 times the big caps energy.
Peter

Original poster: "alfred erpel" <alfred@xxxxxxxxx>
Not to be pedantic, and although 103,000 joules is enough to kill
1000s of people if properly concentrated, it is not near the energy of a
stick of gelignite (dynamite for Americans).  103,000 joules will keep a 25
watt light bulb going for just over an hour.  The energy in a pound of TNT
will light the same light bulb for over 21 hours.  ....