Re: Safety Gap Firing

Hi Dennis,

I wouldnt rebuild the safety gap. Just dont worry about comparing the spacing of it vs the main gap. Many set the safety gap to "just barely not fire" with the variac at max voltage and the TC removed and set the main gap to "just barely fire" with the same exitation and no load conditions.

Gerry R.

To: <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, June 19, 2006 6:50 PM
Subject: Re: Safety Gap Firing

Original poster: otmaskin5@xxxxxxx
Thanks Gerry for the reply. Going on what you say on the difference in geometry & there difference in Efield due to the safety gaps' small sized electrodes, I'm wondering whether I'd be better off constructing safety gaps that resemble my main spark gap - i.e., parallel Cu pipes.

My main gap seems pretty conservative at 0.18. I read about a lot of guys with similar NSTs running gaps 0.25 & sometimes higher. I'd hate to close down my main gap more than it already is & reduce performance if I If I could safely solve the problem by reconfiguring the safety gap. What do you think?

Dennis Hopkinton MA