Re: Bad Pig?

Hi Curt,

At least this clears up conflicting info. You might want to pop off the top and take a visual look. Maybe (if you're lucky) the short is in the interconnect between the transformer and the bushings. It might also be a good exercise to try to localize the short to one of the three coils (primary, HV1, HV2). A DC current source like a current limited DC power supply can be used with a DVM to follow the current path. Dump the oil into another container and pull the transformer from its case if you need to get better access. Learn what you can before you pull it however. If you can fix it, you may want to put new mineral oil back into the case to minimize contamination.

Gerry R

Original poster: "C. Sibley" <a37chevy@xxxxxxxxx>

I was wrong when I made that statement.  When I do
220V straight across it, it trips the breaker
magentically and it does not give a visual indication
that it is tripped.  I realizred my error last night
with the volt and current meters connected.

Sorry for the confusion.

Curt.