Re: Terry's New Plane Wave Antenna

Hi Paul,

Consequently, this is probably a more reliable measurement.
It would be interesting to repeat these experiments, to witness
the space charge collecting on an electrode over a period
of seconds or longer.   Naturally, Terry's plane wave antenna
would make a good charge collector!

:-)

Terry wrote:
> my perhaps ill named "plane wave" antenna was meant to pick
> up a large "current area".

And it should work for this collected charge just as well as
for induced charge.

I see the reasoning behind 'plane', and as you say, much better
than a wire electrode from the point of view of source
capacitance.  I can only continue to object to 'wave'.

> Insulators are like batteries

Too right!  In some of my experiments the charge that happens to
reside on the *outside* of the insulated connecting leads of a test
circuit becomes a problem, and I have to switch to using bare wires!

Gosh!! I never thought about wire insulation and it messing with the charges... I am sure there are many other odd sources of error... Maybe they can all be "calculated out" in one lump somehow...

Are we going to see a thread 'How to build an electrometer' now?

Mine is all done :o))

http://hot-streamer.com/temp/pw-010.JPG

The HP DVM has a >10G ohm input impedance setting. So I set the impedance up and just connected it to the antenna. I think I just need to measure the total input capacitance now (meter, cable, antenna, 20nF cap...) and I should be all set. The capacitance is pretty high for these meters at >20nF but it seems to work well with the very sensitive meter. It happily drifts around fairly randomly but slowly so it seems to work... As I put my hand near it, it seems pretty repeatable and all...

I just flip it over to the current setting which discharges everything. It also has a "null" setting which zeros the display with a relative function.

Cheers,

        Terry

--
Paul Nicholson