Re: Terry's New Plane Wave Antenna

Hi Paul and Terry,

Let me take a stab at this and you can throw stones at the theory :o))

1. Initial conditions is no charge, no voltage anywhere in the complete secondary ckt. 2. Bang happens and current flows in the secondary causing the topload to charge up to (say) a +V. This happens because free electrons got sucked out of the topload and "pushed" into earth ground (positive half of an RF cycle). Earth ground now has an excessive number of electrons. 3. The topload voltage ionizes the air creating +ions and free electrons in the air. 4. The free electrons are attracted to the topload and the +ions are pushed away. 5. Electrons hitting the topload recombine with the +ions in the topload reducing the topload +V. 6. +ions in the air that eventially hits a grounded object recombine with the excessive electrons in earth ground. 7. +ions that deposite themselves onto a dialectric leave that dialectric positively charged and attract some of the excessive electrons in the ground.

Conservation of charge is always maintained.

Gerry R.

Hi Paul.

b) After the bang, the grounded coil has no charge, therefore
for overall charge conservation, there should be some opposite
charge lying around somewhere. I mean, if the bang goes off inside
a Faraday cage, and (say) there's a bunch of positive ions left
hanging in the air, where has the negative charge gone?

:-))) Yeah. that is a really messy one :o))) "Static" E fields may not be right... We probably have to consider "dynamic" E-fields... All that coulomb charges "here and there" stuff... Where does it all go...