RE: status report

Original poster: "Mark Dunn" <mdunn@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Justin:

I agree with Steve Y. on this.  My DC unit has 1.5uF filter capcitor
banks between each DC leg and ground.  The DC legs are +/- 6KVDC.  The
1.5 uF is obtained by stringing (14) 450V 22 uF caps in series(so I have
a total of 28 caps for both legs).  This provides sufficient DC
smoothing(for me anyway) - ripple under 1 KV.  Each cap has a 1.2 mohm
bleeder resister across it.  Power supply is (4) MOTS series secondary,
parallel primary.  Pictures of the retifier board with the filter caps
can be found at http://www.teslaboys.com/Tesla05/T05Power/index.html
See the rectifier board about halfway down the page.

A DC Tesla power supply allows one to vary the tank capacitance and
primary inductance(# of turns) without changing the power supply.  For
me this meant I could test from a 4 turn primary up to a 12 turn primary
while varying tank capacitance to match secondary resonant frequency.
Turned out 8 to 10 turns gives me 60"+ streamers whereas they are
shorter outide that bound.  Thus the system can be optimized.

With a AC coil it is not possible to make the tank capacitor value
independent of the power supply.

For in depth info on DC resonant charging systems see Richie Burnett's
site.

Mark